Re: cross-platform database

Subject: Re: cross-platform database
From: barryk -at- MDHOST -dot- CSE -dot- TEK -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 12:40:06 -0800

On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Hillary Jones wrote:

> Does anyone know of a cross-platform database? We need something that
> would run on both UNIX and Windows NT.
>
> TIA!
>
> --Hillary Jones

Why yes, Hillary.

ORACLE is cross platform.

The query side is platform specific. You purchase the SQL*LAN for what
ever platform you are on.

Your question is very broad, although.

If you start to get involved with anything more powerful the the desktop
microcomputer databases like FoxPro, MS-Access, or Paradox, you will
require administration personnel and mucho dollars.

The real question is: "What do you want a database for".

If it is to track documentation, a database is probably not the best way
to go.

Instead, look into documentation management systems. DMS's will allow you
to manage all of your documentation, especially web based stuff.

Popular DMS's are: Domino.Doc by Lotus, LiveLink by Open Text, and of
course Documentum's SmartSpace.

Hope this helps!

Barry Kieffer