Help Authoring Tools

Subject: Help Authoring Tools
From: Walt Tucker <walt_tucker -at- MENTORG -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 17:59:23 -0800

Does anyone know of an online comparison between RoboHelp, ForeHelp,
and Doc-to-Help? I will be doing some help authoring pretty
soon and rethinking which might be the better tool to use. The
parameters of our delevopment environment are as follows:

-- Our EDA applications have traditionally run under UNIX, but I
am now developing documentation for new applications that will run
under Windows/NT and Windows 95.

-- Some of those applications will be ported to UNIX and run under
Solaris 2.5 and HP/UX 10.04. In the other projects that have done
this, the Winhelp stuff has been ported to Bristol's HyperHelp on
the UNIX side. We are not locked into that, however.

-- My document source is in FrameMaker 5.0.

-- Because our customer base is heavily weighted on the UNIX side (but
those customers also starting to use more and more PCs) Netscape 3.0
and above is the predominant web browser in-house and
in our customer base.

-- We now ship PDF as "books online" and include them with both PC
and UNIX applications.

If you have suggestions as to the best way to approach online help for the
products I am working on, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks much,

Walt Tucker
Senior Technical Writer
Mentor Graphics Corp.