Re: DISCUSS: TW and tech support

Subject: Re: DISCUSS: TW and tech support
From: Melissa Fisher <MFisher -at- AUTOMATEDLOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 10:51:38 -0500

Jane Bergen writes:

I'd like to know how other software developers (and maybe it's
applicable to some hardware manufacturers) handle getting user feedback
received by tech support to funnel through to the tech pubs department.
Right now I get NO (NONE, NADA, ZIP) feedback. I have no idea if users
are getting help with the docs (including online help) or if they are
even using them. I was discussing this "dark hole" with the head of our
tech support and he told me to come up with a plan.
My first thought is to have tech support simply give me a list
periodically of the questions that come into their department and the
resolutions. I would then be able to make sure that my documents and
online help were addressing the problem areas .... including errors,
omissions, and clarifications. I want to make this as easy as possible
on the tech support people to ensure that they'll cooperate with me.
Giving them a ten-point questionnaire for every tech support call would
be nice, but unrealistic.
-----------

Our tech support team uses a case-tracking system (based in Lotus Notes)
that allows them to categorize calls in different areas, so if the problem
is lack of documentation or the user didn't RTFM, they can note this. I
believe, although I don't work with this system first-hand, that they also
have the ability to automatically forward cases to us and link them to
other supporting documents. In addition we have the ability to review tech
support's case histories and we can sometimes identify for ourselves where
there is a problem area we can address. Our tech support team is pretty
good about letting us know when there is a deficiency in the docs, and what
needs to be fixed, changed, or updated.

I think you will get a lot of feedback just by letting tech support know
you are open to their suggestions and you value their input. Documentation
and tech support (and training too for that matter) were recently grouped
into one department in our company, the idea being to promote just this
kind of interaction, since we all have basically the same goal: a happy,
informed customer who can use our product to their advantage.

Melissa Fisher
mfisher -at- automatedlogic -dot- com