Phone when they're hiring engineers?

Subject: Phone when they're hiring engineers?
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 12:18:10 -0600

find companies that are hiring programmers. About two weeks
after the ads appear, write the companies and tell them
that you understand they're ramping up to create new
software and that you'd like to help with the documentation
of the software>>, Melissa Hunter-Kilmer wondered how well
this actually worked in reality.

It was probably me who originally posted this suggestion a
few years back (lo! how the time flies), though I'm sure
I'm not the only one who's had the idea. How well does it
work? It got me my first job (at IBM). That's 1 for 1,
which is an awfully small sample size, but one heckuva
impressive average!

--Geoff Hart @8^) geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca