Re: Slightly off-topic--"versioning"

Subject: Re: Slightly off-topic--"versioning"
From: Tom Johnson <johnsont -at- FREEWAY -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 15:10:57 -0500

Stamant, Kirk R wrote:

> ... I mean, how much
> background does a tech writer need to write an operator's
> manual for a sword? And after we'd written the sword
> manual, what would be left? How to build a torch?
>
> Kirk
>
> --
> Stamant, Kirk R
> stamankr -at- jmu -dot- edu

Don't forget to do your audience analysis and environment analysis.
You'll want to make sure the sword operator can hold the manual in one
hand while using his sword in the other. By the way, it wouldn't do for
him to put his sword down in the midst of battle to turn the page so
you'll probably want to come up with a quick reference pocket guide. Hey
maybe you could stick a label on the sword with the instructions.

Lawyers would have a hay day with boilerplate and disclaimers.
(Im)Proper use of this equipment may result in the loss of life or limb.

--
Tom Johnson
Elk Rapids Engineering - A Division of Star Cutter Company

business mailto:johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com
personal mailto:tjohnson -at- grandtraverse -dot- com
If I ever become brilliant, the company might
make me their spokesman. So far I'm not, they
haven't, and my opinions are still my own.