Indexing Tool for Separate MS Word Documents

Subject: Indexing Tool for Separate MS Word Documents
From: KCKgreg -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 16:26:55 -0500

Call for help to all Techwhirlers,

I need a tool that will index a large (77MB) Microsoft Word 7.0 document
that is now 10 separate Word 7.0 documents. My client mandates the use
of Word, so switching to FrameMaker or another product is out of the
question. The problem is that Microsoft Word 7.0 will not support a
master (or any) document larger than 24 MB and Word 97 will not support
any document larger than 32 MB. Although I have created master documents
larger than the above "official" (Microsoft Technical Support) limits,
this 77MB monster (lots of screen dumps in 350 actual pages) just won't
fly. This one had been a working master document that limped to the
printer all the way up to 55 MB and then finally failed when recent
additions pushed it up to 77MB, forcing me to back it out into 8MB
chunks on advice from Microsoft.

I need a tool that will read and compile MS Word indexing codes from 10
separate Word documents and present them in a separate Word document in
two columns on a 7.5"x9" page in editable form for style formatting.

If anybody knows of a good one, can you please let me know where/how to
buy/acquire it?

Thanks,
KCKGreg