Re: FWD: Online help wording question

Subject: Re: FWD: Online help wording question
From: Melissa Fisher <MFisher -at- AUTOMATEDLOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 09:14:11 -0500

>I'm having trouble finding ways to word sentences like the following:
>
>"To select the program characteristics you want to view, touch the choice
>you want to select in the View selection area."

Hmmm. I don't think you need to use extra words just because it's a touch
screen interface. Use "touch the option" or "touch the button" or "touch
the [whatever the thing looks like]," the same way you would use "click the
[thingy]." If my users were unfamiliar with touch screen technology, I
might bend over backwards and say "touch the [doohickey] on the screen" or
even "touch the screen."

Not knowing the specifics of your example or your audience, I might re-word
your sentence as follows: "Touch the program option you want to view in the
View selection area."

My $.02

Melissa Fisher
mfisher -at- automatedlogic -dot- com