Re: Translations

Subject: Re: Translations
From: Sarah Carroll <sarahc -at- INDIGO -dot- IE>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 14:13:33 +0000

Hi all,
Couldn't actually keep out of this any longer...
I've worked on both ends, as localisation doc. manager
for a s/w publisher who used individual translators as well
as managing DTP/Publications depts. for localisation agencies.
The two are very different animals. There are benefits and
drawbacks to both ways of working.

If you are translating into one or two languages, it is possible
to work with individual translators without incurring substantial
project management costs on your end. If you are translating
into multiple languages, the costs (in terms of human resource
and duplication of effort) to you, can be excessive. This is where
using a service provider can be a good idea.

I missed the original post as I was travelling in the U.S. presenting
suggestions to clients on ways to make their localisation process
more efficient - coming from the perspective of a service provider.
Some suggestions on how to make the whole thing less painful:

1. Information - provide your translators with as much information
as possible about your product. Generate and include glossaries;
send a copy of your style guide (if you have one); make sure that
all referenced files, like graphics are provided straight away; if any
fonts used are not commercially available, make sure to include
a copy. Document everything - including a full file list.

2. Content - be consistent in your writing style; remember that
sentence structure in languages other than English is often
very different. Don't use the passive voice, avoid acronyms and
abbreviations. Try and keep your examples as geographically
independent as you can. Keep text out of graphics - you don't
want to have to have a graphic artist working on your translation
project unless it's absolutely necessary.

3. Document design - standard page size in the U.S. is different
to standard page size in Europe and parts of Asia - if you use a
word processor (such as MS Word) the document will re-paginate,
use a DTP/Book building package such as FrameMaker. Be aware
that translated text will probably expand by up to 30% - look at what
your documents will look like after text expansion, and decide before-
hand how you want to handle this. Let your translators know in advance.

4. Schedule - before you start your localisation project work with the
translator/service provider on a realistic schedule. If you absolutely
have to start working on the localised versions before completing
the source (usually English) docs. make sure that any updates are
planned. Work out the best strategy for handling these. In general,
keep them large and infrequent, rather than small and often.

5. Translation Memory Technology - one of major benefits of working
with a service provider (agency) rather than working with individual
translators is that most of the service providers will be using some
form of Computer Aided Translation (CAT) or Translation Memory (TM)
technology. This can save you time and money if you produce subsequent
versions of what is pretty much the same doc., or if you are single sourcing
doc and help and the writing style is very similar.

6. Review - it is essential for the quality of the translation to have
linguistic reviewers for each language working on the project from the
beginning. If you do not provide a glossary for each language to the
translator, insist that one is generated before translation begins and
approved by your reviewers. Schedule in a sample chapter early on
to be reviewed, and make sure that the review cycle is clearly scheduled.

In my experience, working directly with individual translators is a luxury,
a wonderful experience if you can, as Max points out, build up a long
term relationship with them. Unfortunately, with large documentation
sets being translated into multiple languages, it is frequently too time-
consuming and costly to go that route.
Also, I think it's a bit unfair of Amy to make the statement that:

>the agencies are VERY careful to give their harem of translators
>only limited access to the document's author.
>This block in communication arises from a fear that the translator could
contact
>the customer and win over the contract for her/himself

Granted, some agencies behave like this, but many others don't. Also, it
doesn't
just arise from paranoia, but from simple project management issues.

Best
Sarah
sarahc -at- indigo -dot- ie