Re: Use of (TM) and (R) symbols in running text

Subject: Re: Use of (TM) and (R) symbols in running text
From: "Bruni, Kathy" <kbruni -at- WALLDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 09:57:00 -0800

In technical documentation, we use a (TM) or (R) at the first mention of
the
trademark or registered mark and not after that. This was approved by
our
corporate lawyers. However, in Marketing materials, they use the symbol
with every mention of our product. In order to retain trademarks and
registered trademarks, they have to be used consistently and marked
correctly. For instance, all our products names were trademarked or
registered as all caps. If we as a company fail to use the name in all
caps,
we can lose our trademark for it.

Kathy Bruni
kbruni -at- walldata -dot- com
----------
From: NICOLE CANTER
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
Subject: Use of (TM) and (R) symbols in running text
Date: Thursday, November 13, 1997 9:38AM

>I understand that most companies would prefer you mention their brand
>names
>along with a generic identifier and the appropriate mark -- e.g.
Zip(tm)
>disk, Kleenex(tm) tissue, etc.

>I've seen this directive in mainstream writing trade magazines, but I
would
>assume it would hold true with technical writing as well.

>-- David

I have really been trying to find out what the mainstream does with
trademarks. I regularly use the Chicago Manual of Style, which says

The symbols (R) and (TM), which often accompany registered trademark
names on product packaging and in advertisements, need not be used in
running text.

One of the things I do at work is publish a IT newsletter and product
names are all over it. Does anyone know what writers usually do about
trademark symbols in running text? My company doesn't have a style
manual of its own and no one in my department has a preference.
Thanks,
Nicole Canter
Technical Writer
Information Technology
Phone: (205) 963-6306
Fax: (205) 963-8717
nicole -dot- canter -at- adtran -dot- com