Re: Bullets (with a Reference)

Subject: Re: Bullets (with a Reference)
From: "E. Forrest Christian" <efc -at- USINGIT -dot- BE>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 12:45:04 +0100

Robert Bringhurst, in his excellent "The Elements of Typographic Style" (2nd
Ed.), says that bullets "are commonly hung, like numbers, in the left margin to
mark items in a list", or used as midpoints, placed in the measure. Hanging
bullets in the margin gives the list common status with the other text, and
imparts a greater beauty to the page, IMHO. A recent text using this format
(besides Bringhurt's own stuff) is Hackos's "Managing Your Documentation
Projects".

Bringhurst is a very conservative typographer, and others would disagree,
surely. However, his books are a joy to read, because of the clear simplicity
and beauty of their design.

E. Forrest Christian
Using It, bvba
Brussels, Belgium
email: efc -at- usingit -dot- be
"I'm not a typographer, but I play one on TV...."

If it's about technical communication--post it! If not, don't!