cross-reference between documents

Subject: cross-reference between documents
From: Jessica N Lange <jlange -at- OHIOEE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 13:06:09 -0500

Greetings!

One of our developers asked me (the company Word guru) how to do something,
and since Word's Master Document doesn't work (--tho' it would be the
solution--), I'm clueless. He wants to be able to automatically
cross-reference between separate documents.

For example, in the FuncSpec document, there is this text: "This satisfies
requirement 2.1.2.1". If the section 2.1.2.1 in the Requirements document
changes to be 2.2, he wants the reference in the FuncSpec document to
automatically update: "This satisfies requirement 2.1.2.1". Currently, of
course, they go in and manually edit: a time-consuming and error-prone
task.

Does anyone have any suggestions for handling this, in Word or otherwise?

Thanks in advance,

Jessica N Lange
---digest subscriber---
Technical Communicator, Ohio Electronic Engravers Inc
mailto:jlange -at- ohioee -dot- com

If it's about technical communication--post it! If not, don't!