Bullets

Subject: Bullets
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 21:09:59 -0500

Damien Braniff <Damien_Braniff -at- PAC -dot- CO -dot- UK> wrote:

>It basically comes down to the question should bulleted lists >be indented or not. I have my own preferences but have so far >kept out of the argument.

The answer depends on your design.

For example, in one FrameMaker template I did recently, the text had two
basic alignments: the Body tag was set at 2" and the indent after the
numeral in the Numbered tag was set at 2.25. I set the Bulleted tag so
that the bullet would appear at 2", and the text was indented to 2.25."
With these settings, bullets kept the two alignments. To have (for
example) the bullets at 2.25 and the text at 2.5 would have reduced
readability by adding the needless complication of a third alignment.

On the other hand, in aother template, all the text had one alignment,
and I did indent the bullets to make them stand out more and break the
regularity a little.

What matters is:
--how the bullet positioning affects the layout and readability
--that the positioning is consistent.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
(bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com) (604) 421-7189 or 688-6211 L. 290

"You won't catch me with truth, my dear,
You won't catch me with lies;
Above the hall, overseeing all,
There waits electric eyes."

If it's about technical communication--post it! If not, don't!