FWD: Re: Qualifications for "senior" tech writer? (long)

Subject: FWD: Re: Qualifications for "senior" tech writer? (long)
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 21:24:05 -0700

Forwarded anonymously on request.

************
Steve Fong writes:

> I would expect a writer with 6+ years of experience to fall into
> [the principal writer] range. You don't want to lose a principal
> writer; you've invested a lot over the years in training....

raising the question: Do people really expect to stay at one company for
six years?

The junior/senior/principal (or junior/no-modifier/senior) experience
levels make sense to me, but the assumption of working ones way up at one
company doesn't square with the job market --or the lack of job security--
I've been seeing.

Eric J. Ray ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com