Qualifications for "senior" tech writer?

Subject: Qualifications for "senior" tech writer?
From: Damien Braniff <Damien_Braniff -at- PAC -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 10:46:34 +0000

I don't think age (or necessarily experience) has much to do with it - it's
all about being able to do the job. When I started (years ago!!) as a
trainee it was "on the job" training with 5/6 rewrites before my fist doc
went to the customer - you learned to swim quickly or sank! After 6
months I was promoted to author and was checking my "trainer's" work.
After a year I was up to Senior Author and was responsible for training
somebody!! Since then I've worked at several places with different titles.
Some people place a lot of importance in what they're called (and in some
cases, due to politics, it IS important); personally as long as they pay me
the going rate I don't care a great deal what they call me!!

Damien Braniff
Technical Author
PAC International

PS Here we're officially Tech Writers but I'm used to writing Author!