Liability for manual- no substitute for a good lawyer (2)

Subject: Liability for manual- no substitute for a good lawyer (2)
From: Ron D Rhodes <Ron_D_Rhodes -at- MAIL -dot- BANKONE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 09:21:26 -0500

Mary,

Four years ago I wrote a computer manual that shows Philly train
dispatchers how to route "above-ground" subway trains.

Then, a year or so ago, a terrible train accident occurred; two
passengers died. I don't remember the cause, but the accident was a
real eye opener for me. The news media began their usual speculating
over operator errors. I started to get a little nervous.

I was so concerned I called the dispatcher's office. I was relieved
to hear the train was not one that traveled on the rail system I
documented - but only miles from it.

Legal responsibility is something to be concerned about. And, while I
shouldn't tip-toe across egg shells just to appease lawyers, I
understand that misinforming my readers can have grave consequences.
Imagine writing a user manual for air traffic controllers!

Thanks for the great post.

Ron Rhodes
ron_d_rhodes -at- mail -dot- bankone -dot- com