Re- traffic terminology word source clarity

Subject: Re- traffic terminology word source clarity
From: Smokey Lynne L Bare <slbare -at- JUNO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 09:49:06 -0500

Robert Lipton wrote:

> In article <01bcecbb$cbc29de0$19c774c0 -at- rjaffe>, "RJ" wrote:
> >Could someone help me with the correct terms in American and British
> >English for the types of traffic violations described below.

To aid those unfamiliar (outside of U.S.) with the term 'tailgate'.

A tailgate is the rear-end part of a truck (and sometimes car) whose
section either swings down or swings open. The term came from our
pickups which have their end section dropped down when empty (while being
driven) to reduce the airflow resistance (increasing better gas mileage).
The extension of the tailgate's distance (when down) would generally
equal 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 feet from the bumper of the vehicle. When a vehicle
comes very close to the back of you within this distance range (really
4-7'), it is referred to as 'tailgating' or being within a tailgate's
distance.

In the winter now, I take my truck's tailgate off and put on a nylon
webbed gate. It allows the wind to go through and holds whatever I am
carrying in it. Thus the history of the term.

Su Say Farm Clydesdales and 3-Day horses speaketh.....
web gate information provided by the 3 year old, 158 pound St.
Bern./Collie