Re: Idiot Audience

Subject: Re: Idiot Audience
From: Penny Staples <pstaples -at- AIRWIRE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 09:49:04 -0600

I think that it's possible to write simple instructions
without talking down to people -- just because a piece
of writing uses short words and simple sentence
structures doesn't mean it's "talking down" to anyone.
I mean, we're all "idiots" at something. Personally,
I'm grateful for this kind of documentation when I need
it (e.g., figuring out how to program that new VCR, or
find and change a fuse in the car).

I usually assume that my readers are good -- or at least
competent -- at something (or they wouldn't have jobs).
They just don't know how to use the product I'm documenting.

Regards,

Penny Staples
pstaples -at- airwire -dot- com