WORD: cross-reference solution

Subject: WORD: cross-reference solution
From: Jessica N Lange <jlange -at- OHIOEE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 14:43:22 -0500

Thanks to all who suggested solutions for cross-referencing
between multiple Word documents. I am posting the solution
that works for me, in case others can use it.

This is for Word97:

1. Open two docs. Windows, Arrange All.

2. Select text in DocA.

3. Right-click and drag to position in DocB.

4. From context menu, select Link Here.

Word automatically creates a bookmark for the selected text
in DocA. It uses OLE_LINKn with n incrementing. If you prefer
bookmarks with understandable names, you can create the
bookmark, then do steps 2 - 4.

Word puts the following into DocB:
{ LINK Word.Document.8 filename bookmark \a \r }

For example:
{ LINK Word.Document.8 "D:\\001_first.doc" "open" \a \r }
"\a" = auto-update
"\r" = insert in RTF

If you change the bookmarked text in DocA, it is automatically
changed in DocB. (If you have both windows showing, you can
watch it change.)

Disadvantages:

o Be careful changing bookmarked text: show the [ ]'s so you
don't erase one of them--it's way too easy to do, even when
they're showing.

o I'm told there is a limit to the number of bookmarks in one
document, but I don't know the number.

o If you use autonumbering for headings, the numbers are *not*
included.

The INCLUDETEXT field code does something similar. I'm not
sure of the difference between the two!

Both LINK and INCLUDETEXT are available in Word95, but
you can't drag and drop between 2 documents, except to
move the text.

I did not mean to arouse the Frame Vs Word war!

Grateful thanks to all who replied, especially Win Day,
David Rapport, Kuovonne Liu, Walter Hanig.

Regards,

Jessica N Lange