Re: Secret of success...

Subject: Re: Secret of success...
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- FS -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 14:46:56 +0800

Tim Altom <taltom -at- IQUEST -dot- NET> said:
> We work with a couple of publishers in Indianapolis (one of which
> is IDG) and you're absolutely correct, the indexes for most books
> on the same subject can be virtually interchanged except for page
> numbers. But that's to be expected...the book subject matter
> dictates the subcategories within it.

It's also a useful indexing technique to look at third-party books
and manuals for competing products, to look for indexable terms. If
you're trying to wean readers off another product, it's most helpful
to cross-reference the terms they're used to with the terms you use.

When I changed from Word 4.0 for DOS to WordPerfect 5.1 back in the
Age of Steam, I spent a frustrating 20 minutes trying to find out
how to highlight a portion of text. In Word it was called 'select'.
In WP it's 'block' -- select meant something else.

Regards
---
Stuart "index pusher" Burnfield "Fun, fun, fun
Functional Software Pty Ltd In the sun, sun, sun. . ."
mailto:slb -at- fs -dot- com -dot- au