Troubleshooting Guides -Reply

Subject: Troubleshooting Guides -Reply
From: Carol Van Natta <CVANNATT -at- ITC -dot- NRCS -dot- USDA -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 09:20:35 -0700

My 2 cents worth: As a user, I most appreciate the
workaround right there in the user manual where I'm likely to
run into the problem, as opposed to someplace hidden in an
appendix or separate book, where it's almost impossible to
find without an extraordinarily good index. I also like finding
workarounds in little boxes with some sort of icon (e.g., a
bandaid), so I can easily find them again.

>>> Laura Grosvenor <laurag -at- ARLUT -dot- UTEXAS -dot- EDU>
11/19/97 9:07 am >>>
My project has recently documented a series of
semi-permanent
workarounds for our frequently changing software (we are a
research and development environment). These workarounds
have
all appeared in previous release notes delivered with each
build. Since many of them will remain valid for some time,
we want to move them to a more permanent place in the
documentation.

The questions are:
-Should we place them in the user manual or reference
manual.
-Within the appropriate manual, where should we put the:
-As a single appendix
-As sections at the end of each relevant chapter
-Throughout the chapters, with each piece being
included
with the relevant procedure or window description;
if so, then:
-Within the text
-As a separate section
-As a call-out box

I would appreciate your thoughts and feedback on this.

Thanks,
Laura

Laura Grosvenor
laurag -at- arlut -dot- utexas -dot- edu
Information Technology Group
Applied Research Laboratories
The University of Texas at Austin

Commands: mailto:listserv -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu (e.g.
SIGNOFF TECHWR-L)
http://www.dejanews.com/
Subjects: JOB:, QUESTION:, SUMMARY:, ANNOUNCE:, or
none of these.