Re: Research

Subject: Re: Research
From: Michelle Nolan <nolanmj -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 09:36:12 PST

Angella:

Interesting research topic. I can't say I thought about this before
from a gender perspective.

In general, I'd say that people who are difficult to deal with in person
often also come through as difficult in e-mail. The advantage is that
you do not have to deal with that person face to face. For example, if
an employee has a difficult boss, he/she may feel more comfortable
asking for a day off through e-mail rather than asking.

From my perspective, often times I prefer e-mail because it provides a
paper trail. I can print out what is "discussed". That can mean that
there are fewer misunderstandings.

Michelle Nolan
Lead Technical Writer
The Nolan Technology Group, Inc.
(703) 768-3497

>Hello all, I am a graduate student in technical writing, at New Mexico
>State University and I have been viewing this list for about 4 months
now.
>I subscribed to the list so that I could get an idea of what goes on in
>the undefinable world of technical writing. Currently I am doing
research
>on the significance e-mail may have on gender discourse. I am
proposing
>that email users use a gender neutral discourse which will promote a
more
>egalitarian work-place. I am sure all of you have knowledge of the
typical
>difficulties that men and women often face when communicating at work.
>(Men misunderstand women's intentions when they hedge or use tag
phrases.
>Women misunderstand when men use overly critical or overly oppositional
>speech.) Those are generalizations but are some of the things I am
>investigating. Since you all are frequent email users I was wondering
if
>any of you had any insight on how email may or may not make you feel
more
>comfortable when communicating with the other gender. Is it something
you
>consciously consider? Have you come across more or less
misunderstandings