Re: Boolean or boolean

Subject: Re: Boolean or boolean
From: Dave Taylor <dtaylor -at- MIL3 -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 07:49:06 -0500

As someone who uses boolean, I have to add a few comments.

Although words derived from people's names are generally capitalized,
that's not always true, especially when they receive heavy usage. Examples:
volt, ampere, newton.

Because boolean is a standard data type in computer languages, I treat it
as I do other data types such as integer and double.

I would agree with retaining the capital B in the phrase "Boolean logic",
because that's more closely related to Mr. Boole's contribution.

As with all gray areas, the best advice is: pick one and be consistent.

David M. Taylor
Director of Technical Communication
MIL 3, Inc. -- Washington DC USA
Phone: (202) 364-4700 E-mail: dtaylor -at- mil3 -dot- com