Salary Questions

Subject: Salary Questions
From: "Frank T. Kryza" <ftkryza -at- METRONET -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 08:10:20 -0600

The other rule of thumb re: salary vs. hour rates, is that if you're
charging an hourly or daily consulting fee you need to bring in 3x what
you would be comfortable making on a full-time salary because as a
consultant you'll have down time and overhead. I never tell new clients
what I charged other clients, any more than I would tell them what I
worked on for the other client. I just tell them my fee. They're free to
contact people I've worked for and draw their own conclusions. I agree
completely with chevalier about the salary situation creating a
subordinate relationship, in spades --- more like indentured servitude.
Consultants have more independence, especially as they create a pool of
clients, no single one of whom can then torpedo you. F.

On Sun, 23 Nov 1997 JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM wrote:

> In a message dated 97-11-22 22:50:18 EST, john -at- tdandw -dot- com writes:
>
> << What does it matter whether you are discussing salaries or
> hourly rates. One is for an hour and one is for a week. No other
> difference....no? >>
> One other difference, yes. When you're applying for a [brrr, yuck, ick...]
> JOB, you are seeking an exclusive relationship and a relationship in which
> you will implicitly be subordinate to your future employer. The
> subordination tends to begin during the interview process, if not before. In
> most situations where you are required to state your previous salary, you are
> submitting a request to be part of THEIR organization. This makes it harder
> (though not impossible) to refuse to play by their rules.
>
> In a consulting situation, you have more of an opportunity to adopt a peer to
> peer stance. Not that agencies won't do everything to make you feel like a
> subordinate, but you can decide to not to be, so long as you're willing to
> walk away from unsatisfactory situations (helps to have a good track record
> and an up-to-date skill set, too).
>
> Jim Chevallier
> Los Angeles
> Currently available for contracting/freelance work
Frank T. Kryza (1-972) 267-4191 Office
4227 North Capistrano Drive (1-972) 267-4192 Telefax
Dallas, Texas 75287-4002 (1-972) 740-1243 Cellular
USA (1-972) 733-1692 Residence