Re: Previous Salary

Subject: Re: Previous Salary
From: John Posada <john -at- TDANDW -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 21:36:32 -0500

> Second, I have been "victimized" by low-ball contract personnel before. I
> was called last year about a job remote from my home. The contract agency
> told me the client would pay up to $33, reluctantly. I told them I would do
> it for $28 if I could get part of that rate classified as per diem, since I
> would have to stay at the work site during the week. When I didn't hear
> anything for a couple of weeks, I called back and was told that the job had
> gone to another guy who was willing to commute for $22. Seems he was eager
> to "get the experience."

Dan...it is unfortunate that it happened to you, but to be honest, I
don't see where anyone was victimized. You cannot blame a company for
trying to get the lowest price just you or I would try for the highest
rate. You even admit they were willing to pay 33 reluctantly. Just
that alone tells me that price was a major issue and getting a low price
on a rate was a priority.

The only down side is that if the company was willing to bring someone
in for $22 to learn the ropes, they had better be ready for that person
to hang themself with the same rope.

It may be that the position was low on the compexity scale and suitable
for someone to learn the job. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Remember, in the long run, you get what you pay for and "sometimes" it
evens out.

We gotta stop taking this stuff personal.
--
John Posada, Technical Writer (and proud of the title)
The world's premier Internet fax service company: The FaxSav Global

HEY! Are you coming to the NJ TechWriter lunch? So far, about 10 of us
are.
Ask me about it.