Contracting: Testing the Waters

Subject: Contracting: Testing the Waters
From: "Tony G. Rocco" <trocco -at- NAVIS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 11:55:15 -0800

I have been considering busting out of a full-time job to get into
contracting sometime next year. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area (East
Bay), and have about 5 years of full-time experience. Most of my writing is
GUI end-user print stuff for Mac (mostly) and Windows/DOS software apps, as
well as some hardware stuff. I have worked mostly for commercial software
companies, but have also done time with a scientific research group that
developed its own ORACLE database apps in-house.

I want to experience the freedom and flexibility of contracting but I just
bought a new house and don't want to jeopardize my mortgage. I would love
to work part-time, around 30 hours a week, at home, if possible. Full-time
work part on and part off site would be acceptable.

Can any recruiters, contractors, doc managers and others tell me what you
think my prospects are for fulfilling this goal? Am I in the ball park here
or am I a hopeless dreamer? Any well-reasoned feedback based on market
knowledge and real experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

- tgr

Writing is like prostitution. First you do it for
the love of it, then you do it for a few friends,
and finally, you do it for the money.

-Moliere