Re: Research interviewing tips

Subject: Re: Research interviewing tips
From: Sean Fitzpatrick <Sean -dot- Fitzpatrick -at- SMED -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 17:53:51 -0500

The short, sort of smart alecky, answer is that interviewwing is very
inefficient. Get the "subject matter expert" to write a draft. Then you
edit/rewrite it into a simple, direct, logical presentation. If you can, use
specs, prototypes, or source code to supplement your notes. Your draft will
probably be the first time the folks working on the project have ever seen
their ideas pulled together in a coherent form. It will appall them. You
should get at least one design change per ten pages of draft (or at least a
"gee-we-really-shoulda-done-it-this-way).

You are right. Interviewing is a skill in itself. I'm sure you will get lots
of tips and guidelines from the vast experience on this list. A couple of
quick ones:
--Ignorance is a tool; use it.
--Go into an interview knowing what you want to learn ON BEHALF OF THE
USER/READER:
--reference
--procedure
--skill level
--background for yourself (i.e., the way things are now and why we are
changing)
--vocabulary.

Sean Fitzpatrick
Shared Medical Systems, Malvern, PA
sean -dot- fitzpatrick -at- smed -dot- com

*