Re: Usage of a the word "BUT"

Subject: Re: Usage of a the word "BUT"
From: "Parks, Beverly" <ParksB -at- EMH1 -dot- HQISEC -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 08:16:13 -0700

In the example you gave, there should not be a comma because both
clauses are not independent. However, if you added the word "it" at the
beginning of the second clause, then the comma is necessary. Plus, I'd
move "only" to the right a few words:

"This sub-directory is easily accessible by all employees, but it can be
updated only by the Administrator."

If the independent clauses are short and not likely to be misread, you
can usually omit the comma.

Bev Parks
parksb -at- emh1 -dot- hqisec -dot- army -dot- mil