Document revision control

Subject: Document revision control
From: Kate Kane <KGKANE -at- ACCUSORT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 15:52:17 EST5EDT

Hello-

We're trying to come up with a method for controlling hardware and
software document revisions. The main issue is what constitutes
enough of a change to warrant a revision number increase, for
instance going from 1.0 to 2.0 as opposed to going from 1.0 to 1.1
(I'm talking about technical changes here, not grammar, typos, etc.)
Our products are constantly being changed, so we have to make sure
users are getting the correct document. Information about archiving
methods would be appreciated, too.

Can anyone suggest any resources for learning about this? The only
thing I have been able to find on the internet is about software
packages, but nothing about theory (why, when).

Thanks for your help.
Kate Kane
kgkane -at- accusort -dot- com