Re: FrontPage 98 Beta Frustrations

Subject: Re: FrontPage 98 Beta Frustrations
From: Scott Miller <smiller -at- CORP -dot- PORTAL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 12:07:03 -0800

Cheryle Wiese asked about FrontPage changing HTML tags:

Do others share my frustrations? Is this a function of using an HTML
editor, or is just because I'm working with a Beta version? Does the
released version of FrontPage '98 allow for more control over the HTML?
<<<<<
This is a feature of all of the WYSIWYG HTML editors that I've seen.
FrontPage, like the others, has its own ideas about how to format HTML,
and will change your code. As far as I know, there is nothing to be done
about it. HotMetal, another WYSIWYG editor, is even more fanatical than
FrontPage. If it isn't totally clean and legal HTML, forget it. Claris
Home Page is slightly more forgiving.

If you use a non-WYSIWYG editor such as HomeSite, you have complete
control over your tags. However, you also have to insert them. I think
that inserting mark-up tags in the late 1990s is offensive, so I use the
WYSIWYG approach and accept the editor's tags.

If you're converting a lot of docs, you might want to consider using
another tool. I like FrontPage for managing a Web site, with a limited
number of pages, and lots of graphics and interesting layouts. However,
for converting manuals into HTML, you might be better off using
something like Frame and converting it to HTML. Or maybe even RoboHelp.
I'm getting vague here, since I don't know much about this...

- Scott Miller
smiller -at- portal -dot- com