Re: FrontPage 98 Beta Frustrations

Subject: Re: FrontPage 98 Beta Frustrations
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 14:02:06 -0800

At 04:46 PM 12/2/97 -0500, John Posada wrote:
>Hey, guys...a simple question (expressed emotionally) about how do you
insert code that isn't changed in FrontPage (which you can and I addressed
how) has turned into Holy War 3... WYSIWYG vs Hand Coding.

Nowaitaminit, there, John. Not a holy war on my end. Just a plain
statement of fact. WYSIWYG HTML editors add stuff you may not want.

>Where I come from, a client is interested in one thing...getting a good
(in the customer's eyes) quality product up/out/etc as quickly as possible.

Yeah. OK. Where I come from, too. However...

When I have nested lists and unnumbered paragraphs in between list
items and I need steps numbered consecutively and the editor inserts
start and end list tags where I don't want them and step 7 turns into
a new step 1 and step 8 turns into a new step 1, then the editor isn't
my helper, it's a problem.

When I have font size changes in mid-word to simulate small caps
and the editor automatically inserts spaces between the font tags
so that I end up with spaces in the middle of words, then the
editor isn't my helper, it's a problem.

WYSIWIG HTML editors have done both of these things to me. That's
why I don't use them.

>Maybe there are some html coders that object more to the fact that what
took them >1-2 years to learn code can now be done by someone with less
training than that.

Well, if it takes anybody longer than a month to become productive with
HTML, they probably need a dedicated editor. ;-) And I certainly don't
have a problem with anyone who likes and uses one. I'm just not sure
why you have a problem that I don't use one.

-Sue Gallagher http://pw1.netcom.com/~gscale/susanwg/
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com http://www.expersoft.com

The _Guide_ is definitive.
Reality is frequently inaccurate. --Douglas Adams