ISO9000 (continued)

Subject: ISO9000 (continued)
From: Alessandro Bottoni <albo -at- CADLAB -dot- IT>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 12:59:37 +0100

Answering to Walker, Arlen P:

Mmmhhhhh.....You are making me think over a few important things.

You are right, for sure, regarding two topics:
1) A real QC&A system MUST be checked by an external and unbiased
supervisor. This is the only way to check the whole QC&A system design.

2) ISO9000 is an extremely good starting point, thanks to its carefull
design and its wide and deep testing by many companies.

On the other hand, I remain skeptics about two aspects:
1) As a consumer, I do not trust ISO9000 certified products at all.

2) ISO9000 still seems to me too complex and bureoucratic.

Regarding the costs, a few Italian consulting firms are offering they
ISO9000-implementation services for prices that go from 20.000 to 60.000 US$
per year (for a minimum of 2 or 3 years, in some case). They say that around
a third of this cost is related to the auditing and unavoidable. If this is
true, I can just say that, most likely, we would spend less by accepting a
secondary market position respect our certified competitors (if any).

In any case, thanks for you interesting comments regard this topic.