Re: QUESTION: IBM Documentation Formats

Subject: Re: QUESTION: IBM Documentation Formats
From: John Posada <posada -at- FAXSAV -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 17:10:51 -0500

Denise...

I'm in a similar position. I am the lone writer and prior to joining, the company had no formal documentation program. (translated...I got to do it any way I wanted)

When I came on, they used Word 97 sometimes and UNIX-type of doc files mostly.

I brought in Frame 5.5
I added an documentation intranet site with FTP capability.

My documents, regardless of whether I create them in Word or Frame, when ready for distribution, are converted to both PDF and postscript.

People here with PCs can view using PDF (and download acrobat from the web site if they don't have it installed) and those on UNIX can download the postscript and view in Ghostscript or send directly to printer if the want.

You're with IBM. Do you have Notes? Make a Notes database and use that dB to distribute material. When I was Ernst & Young, everything was done through a Notes v.4 front-end.

John