Re: QUESTION: Pesky RD fields

Subject: Re: QUESTION: Pesky RD fields
From: William Meisheid <wgm -at- SAGELINE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 09:46:03 -0500

Stephen Riley wrote:

> Trying to build a TOC from Word 97 sub-documents.
>
> I've started a clean doc (same template) referenced
> the 4 docs on the first 4 lines in the form:
> { RD c:\\my documents\\docs\\chapter 1 test.doc}
> using the Insert Field menu. Then build the TOC.
>
> Result:
> Error! Cannot open file referenced on page 1
> for each referenced doc.

Stephen,

If you are using Windows 95 then all long file names with spaces
require quotes around the path as Kris said. However, the quotes
are not necessary in NT, though they do work. Network situations
are another story altogether, espcially when the network is
Novell.

It is safest to always include the quotes.
William Meisheid "Thoughts still and always in progress"
Certified RoboHELP Training email: wgm -at- sageline -dot- com
Sageline Publishing 410.465.1548 Fax: 410.465.1812
WUGNET/Help Authoring Forum - Sysop for: Style/Concepts/Etc
CSi email: 70713 -dot- 2225 -at- compuserve -dot- com