Re: What is the correct usage of "viz" ?

Subject: Re: What is the correct usage of "viz" ?
From: Sean Fitzpatrick <Sean -dot- Fitzpatrick -at- SMED -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 11:45:59 -0500

Use "viz." just as you would "namely" or "that is (to say)", viz., set off by
commas and with a period to indicate it's an abbreviation (cf. CMoS 5.62).

CMoS advises using a leading semicolon (5.95) or colon (5.99) instead of a
comma when sense or sentence structure indicates a stronger break.

BTW, I prefer to read "viz." as namely. I've heard it pronounced as it is
spelled, as though it were an acronym, but I've never heard it pronounced
properly as "videlicet", as people pronounce "etc." as "et cetera".

Sean Fitzpatrick
Shared Medical Systems, Malvern, PA

*