Re: Marketing Yourself

Subject: Re: Marketing Yourself
From: AnnMacknz <AnnMacknz -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 09:13:40 EST

In a message dated 97-12-10 10:04:26 EST, Cody wrote:

<< I am looking for help in marketing my Tech Writing skills as an
independent contractor. My first instinct is to make cold calls to
companies who may need my expertise. I've thought of creating brochures
or packets to leave with potential clients. Any thoughts? >>

You should define your skills and the area(s) you specialize in. The exercise
of trying to write a brochure, then condensing the messages to a business card
will help you with that. Cold calls are very good, especially in markets that
are crying for technical writers. Be aware, though, that returns from cold
calls can be weeks and months later.

Better ways, in my experience, to become known as an independent are:
1. Sign up with your local STC Jobs Coordinator. Most chapters maintain a
list of contractors and will send you information about companies who have
inquired about writers.
2. Introduce yourself to any other independent writers in your area. Many
are very willing to share information and ideas.
3. Sign up with temporary employment agencies that handle technical (as
opposed to clerical) people. You'll learn about working as a contractor vs.
an employee and you'll make valuable contacts with other contractors (probably
programmers and analysts) who are also working on your project.

Hope this helps Ann
Ann Mackenzie: AnnMacknz -at- AOL -dot- com
TekDoc - Technical Documentation, Inc. in Milwaukee, WI, USA
specializing in policies & procedures and software & engineering writing