Re: Downsizing (literally) the manuals

Subject: Re: Downsizing (literally) the manuals
From: "Bergen, Jane" <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 13:39:46 -0600

You might also ask about disadvantages. One that immediately comes to my
mind is that you are limiting yourself (by at least 1.5 inches) on the
size of graphics and other non-text elements. In our documents, we have
to sometimes display lines of programming code or scripting. Some of
them can be quite long.

Another disadvantage is in the "prepping" -- we have to print drafts on
standard printers and they hold 8.5 by 11 paper. Sure, we could print on
this but it's ugly and wastes paper.

And don't forget your users. Maybe they like a larger format, with less
sheets of paper, so they can flat-fold the documents. It just depends on
who you are writing for and how they will use it.

Yes, I do like the look and the ease of handling of the smaller size,
but so much depends upon your production method, your content, and your
audience.

Jane
Jane Bergen, Technical Writer,
AnswerSoft, Inc. Richardson, TX