Value of a Technical Writer

Subject: Value of a Technical Writer
From: Teresa Washburn <twashbur -at- INFICON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 15:07:22 -0500

Hi Tech Whrlers-
This is my first post-- I'm hoping that someone out there will be able to
help me.

My immediate supervisor is the only full time Tech Writer, (I'm a student
co-op) and he's lobbying for the company to expand his department. The
company sees the value in expanding the Tech Pubs dept, but wants to know
exact numbers before they OK the expansion. My supervisor is looking for
any studies which have been done that exhibit the information they are
looking for. For example, he needs to be able to say-

"According to a study done by XX Company, expanding the Technical
Publications Department will save this company XX amount of dollars per
Service Technician, by reducing the number of calls that come in,

Anybody familiar with any studies that have been done that we can use?

Thank you!
Teresa M.R. Washburn