Re: DB? What's it stand for?

Subject: Re: DB? What's it stand for?
From: "Ridder, Fred" <F -dot- Ridder -at- DIALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 11:25:25 -0500

Rebecca Carr wrote:
>You obviously need a copy of Newton's Telecom Dictionary (12th or 13th
>edition and a 14th will be coming out in early '98) by Harry Newton,
>or The Computer Glossary" by Alan Freedman, or the "Microsoft Press
>Computer Dictionary"...all of which have good explanations of DB, DB-9,
etc.

>In this case it appears to mean Data Bus connector.
>
>I recommend all of these books as excellent reference materials that
>you will use again and again

I have recommended Harry Newton's dictionary to may people as an
extremely useful basic reference for telecom. But I have never failed
to warn against automatically accepting the information as definitive,
particularly in relation to general computing and electronics topics.
More than a few non-telecom definitions appear to be anecdotal, and
I believe that is the case here if "DB" is defined as meaning "Data
Bus".
The use of "DB" to refer to D-subminiature connectors predates the
common use of the connectors for data connections--I myself was
using them in professional audio equipment around 1970, before the
IBM PC was introduced and before desktop computers of any sort
were commonplace.

Fred Ridder (mailto:f -dot- ridder -at- dialogic -dot- com)
Senior Technical Writer
Dialogic Corporation, Parsippany, NJ

And to keep our marketing people happy:
Get the Dialogic Edge at: http://www.dialogic.com