Re: Anonymous Posts

Subject: Re: Anonymous Posts
From: Peter Brown <pbrown -at- MKS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 14:05:26 -0500

Tony G. Rocco wrote:

> Anonymous posts are cowardly and should not be permitted, IMHO. No credible
> newspaper will print anonymous letters to the editor.

This statement is not accurate. Any credible newspaper will print an
anonymous letter, or print a false byline (with an attached disclaimer)
for a comment piece on its op/ed page, if the situation warrants it.
Victims of sexual assault, for instance, would fall into this category.
Of course, the newspaper has to be careful (just as they do with authors
whose names they *know*) that the author is not libelling someone in
their letter or comment piece.

> No credible email
> list should post anonymous messages. If you have something to say, stand up
> and say it. Don't hide behind a curtain because you're afraid of what
> people might think.

Those who wish to post anonymously usually have a stronger reason than
being "afraid of what people might think." How about: I'd rather not get
fired because I criticized my company.

> Eric, you should stop collaborating with people who want to post
> anonymously. I don't think it is fair to the subscribers of this list.
>
> - tgr

IMO, anonymous posting is a privilege that Eric should dispense
judiciously. And I think that (so far) he has done just that.

--
Peter Brown, Technical Writer (pbrown -at- mks -dot- com)
Mortice Kern Systems Inc., Waterloo, Ontario, Canada