Re: (Fwd) Re: Not Wanted--Technical Writers

Subject: Re: (Fwd) Re: Not Wanted--Technical Writers
From: Denise Winkelman <dwinkel3 -at- BANKERSSYSTEMS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 13:15:31 -0600

> Since she claimed that "as a poet," she was able to better
> communicate with her readers (better, of course, than technical
> writers.)

She claimed that as a poet she knew how to communicate with readers. "Move
people with my words" was how she put it. At no point did she assert she
could do it better than anyone else. It was her boss that said poets were
better than technical writers. Therefore, saying she has a superiority
complex doesn't make much sense to me.

> Uh, sure. But if you are able to admit that you DON'T know what
> you're doing sometimes, you'll know even more in a few years.

I can do that.

Likewise, those who are upset that someone younger could do a better job
could also admit there is something to be learned. Anonymous seems to think
it's ok to tell the younger writers to learn something from the older
writers, yet as an older writer, is offended by the idea of learning
something from a younger writer. THAT'S what I have a problem with.

Really, I think could all learn something from one another. If we could
just keep our egos out of it...

> >Liberal Arts Grad, Poet, Generation Xer
>
> That's all well and good, but it doesn't make you a technical writer
> any more than having blue eyes or being a Muslim would. Being
> a technical writer is what makes one a technical writer.

Except that Anonymoys omitted the part where I said I am a technical
writer. My point in including those traits is to show that it is possible
to be both a poet and a technical writer at the same time. And having those
traits doesn't make me any *less* of a tech writer, either. Don't forget
she's a technical writer too.

So if you want to disregard her, me, or any of the rest of us, do it if
weren't not comptent or because we can't write. But please, don't do it
because we write poetry or because we have liberal arts degrees or because
were 23.

BTW, Pat is right. Had anonymous not remained anonymous, I could have
contacted him or her directly, which is exactly what I intended to do, but
couldn't.

Denise