Re: Anonymous Posts

Subject: Re: Anonymous Posts
From: Win Day <winday -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 15:00:12 -0500

At 10:57 AM 12/17/97 -0800, "Tony G. Rocco" <trocco -at- NAVIS -dot- COM> wrote:
>Anonymous posts are cowardly and should not be permitted, IMHO. No credible
>newspaper will print anonymous letters to the editor. No credible email
>list should post anonymous messages. If you have something to say, stand up
>and say it. Don't hide behind a curtain because you're afraid of what
>people might think.
>
>Eric, you should stop collaborating with people who want to post
>anonymously. I don't think it is fair to the subscribers of this list.

I disagree. Having been in an uncomfortable employment situation several
years ago, I can understand the desire for anonymous postings.

And while you might never see an anonymous letter to the editor of a print
newspaper, you WILL see letters signed "Name withheld upon request". That's
really the service that Eric is providing -- he knows who the sender is, but
the rest of the list doesn't need to.

Win
Win Day
Freelance Technical Writer/Editor