Re: Not Wanted--Technical Writers

Subject: Re: Not Wanted--Technical Writers
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 20:43:33 -0500

Hulda Dent <hulda -at- WW-WEB -dot- COM> wrote:

>Being both a poet and a technical writer (10 years at TW) I >can tell you this...They ain't the same animal.

I'm also both, and I'm afraid I'd have to disagree. To do either well
requires a precision of language - although I admit that my tech-writing
vocabulary and style are very different from my poetic ones.

Also, far from finding that tech-writing makes other writing harder, in
the two years that I've been a tech-writer, I've published more of every
other type of writing - especially poetry - than I had in the previous
ten. In fact, my first collection is due out later this week (brag,
brag).

It was much harder teaching at university and trying to write at the end
of the day. Now, my brain is switched over to writing all the time.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
(bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com) (604) 421-7189

"Granite Years
Harbour lights, city nights and bitter tears
And you don't care where you're going,
Say that I was foolish,
Say that I was blind
Never say that I got left behind."