Re: Re[2]: Fair Use Law

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Fair Use Law
From: John Posada <posada -at- FAXSAV -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 12:26:44 -0500

Arlen...

Let's not confuse matters any more than necessary. Don't confuse "have" with "do".

Yes, granted, if I look at a page in a browser, I end up with a copy on my 'puter. However, isn't that the same as joining a book club and because you have a middle initial, Readers Digest (nothing personal. just first name that came to mind), ends up sending you two copies of the book. It was out of our control just like having a cached copy would be. (yeah, I know I can eliminate the caching capability.) However, we all know what we cannot do with the first copy. However, that also applies to the second copy.

Therefore, just having the cached copy is not a copyright issue. USING the cached copy is the infringement just like owning either 1 or 10 copies of a book is not copyright infringement, but using one of them wrongly is wrong. I don't need a law to understand that...it's a no-brainer.

John