Re: Attitude Adjustment necessary <deep breath required>

Subject: Re: Attitude Adjustment necessary <deep breath required>
From: Nora Merhar <nmerhar -at- CHARLESINDUSTRIES -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 12:39:24 -0600

Pat wrote:

> Hiring and firing should not be based on
> listserv posts. Come on now...

I don't think anyone said that they were. Posters were simply
pointing out that a prospective employer or employee COULD, (and some
have) use internet postings to learn more about someone they were
considering hiring/working for. It's an excellent reason to use some
discretion in your postings, make them accurate, well-thought-out,
intelligent, and correctly spelled. (Or try to, anyway!)

Anonymous postings have their place, and anyone who chooses to post
this way should not be abused for it.

We have to keep in mind that this list is a professional forum, and
not a small group of our best friends to whom we can whine and run off
at the mouth as we see fit. When we DO whine and run off at the mouth,
it creates a poor impression. I, for one, have had my feelings about a
number of people colored by just one or two posts--if any of those
people applied to work where I do, I would definitely do all in my
power to prevent them being hired. There are also some people I have
very positive impressions of, based on just one or two posts.

This list is our chance to make a first impression on thousands of
people. We should all keep that in mind.

Nora
nmerhar -at- charlesindustries -dot- com