Re: Comment--My Best Christmas Present

Subject: Re: Comment--My Best Christmas Present
From: JIMCHEVAL <JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 21:00:48 EST

In a message dated 97-12-22 17:16:04 EST, susanm -at- AMS -dot- IIX -dot- COM writes:

<< Guess how she learns
the systems and uses them? SHE READS THE MANUALS! >>
Actually, Fernando Salas, my muy estimado jefe in my first computer job, a
very hands-on, can-do sort of fellow, used to say gruffly "Read the MANUAL!!
No one ever does this, and yet it can teach you many things."

Subsequent years spent diving into C and other new languages have taught me an
important corollary - "Do the TUTORIAL". It can save you hours of pain in
programming with a new language.

Sadly, it does remain true that many people do neither. Which you'll quickly
learn if you ever do support.

Jim Chevallier
NYC for the moment
Visit Chez Jim: Jim Chevallier's Home Page - http://www.gis.net/~jimcheval