Software requirements writers?

Subject: Software requirements writers?
From: JGREY <JGREY -at- MADE2MANAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 14:44:50 -0500

Hello,

My company is considering hiring a technical writer to write
requirements for our software products. I'm selling the concept on the
premises of relieving nonwriters (currently developers and product
managers) of the burden and of increasing the
quality/readability/traceability of the output.

I haven't launched a search for such a person yet. We're in
Indianpolis, Indiana -- a great place to live but not a software mecca.
I have a gut feeling that, although I will certainly find skilled
technical writers locally, I will find few who have significant
requirement-writing experience and understand formal software design
processes such as the Microsoft Solutions Framework.

I'm interested in hearing from others who have tried to hire
requirements writers and from requirements writers themselves to learn
how easy or hard it is on a national/worldwide scale to find this kind
of talent. War stories are welcome, success stories are encouraged.

Of course, if you're a successful requirements writer in Indiana or
happy to relocate here, I'd love to hear from you.

Peace,
jim

jim grey \ Manager, Documentation
Made2Manage Systems, Inc. \ jgrey -at- made2manage -dot- com