Re: DB? What's it stand for?

Subject: Re: DB? What's it stand for?
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- MAIL -dot- BC -dot- ROGERS -dot- WAVE -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 18:06:44 -0800

On Mon, 15 Dec 1997 17:47:47 -0500, David Hirschler wrote:

>The second letter refers to the size of the shell (i.e., A, B, C, D, E).
>According to our designers, there never was such a thing as DB-9. Your
>reference to DB-9 should probably be DE-9 for technical accuracy. However,
>due to general misuse, the incorrect term is becoming part of the
>vernacular. Another common connector is DB-25, used for EIA-232
>connections. A "DB-9" connector would have 9 pins inside a shell large
>enough for 25 pins.

Fascinating. This means, then, that the "media filter" adapters we use
at work to plug an RJ-45 UTP connection into the old IBM PS/2s'
token-ring cards would have a male DE-4 connector on the computer end,
being the size of what's commonly known as a DB-9 connector, but with
only four pins?

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<All standard disclaimers apply>