COMMENT Microsoft Writing tools

Subject: COMMENT Microsoft Writing tools
From: Peter Joseph Dranchuk <dranchuk -at- COMPUSMART -dot- AB -dot- CA>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 22:09:13 -0700

Thank you for replying to my post about your MS Word 97 post.

>>I don't believe I will be going with a Windows Machine now.
>
>If you are not going Wintel, what kind of machine do you think you will go
>with instead?

I will most likely go with a Power PC or go with an Intel machine running
the new Rhapsody unix system from Apple when it comes out, providing that
Rhapsody continuesto grow from its current promising reviews. Otherwise it
will be a Windows NT Intel.

>and what will you be using it for?

I am a young writer breaking into technical writing, fiction, and
journalism. I want tools that help me do what I have to do well. A
carpenter's hammer always works; I would like my tools to do the same. With
computers,I can be writing or I can be fighting with a computer system that
isn't working properly. Writing is alroady difficult enought without
computer troubles. Beyond this, I want to support those who approach their
work of producing computer software with the spirit of making a product
that brings to the customer what the customer *wants* and needs; and
encourage those who have used a keen eye and honest effort to determine and
bring to life features that will make their products do their required task
better and easier than the customer could imagine.

>I would not lump the problems of Word 97 into same basket with Windows or
>NT and all the other programs available for the platform.

My reaction to your posting comes on the back of my experience and that of
friends and associates with Microsoft products including Windows 95 and NT
systems and Microsoft applications. While it is true that no product,
computer related or not, can be perfect, Microsoft appears to be distinct
when we look at the spirit in which they produce their products. In
aggregate, Microsoft products repeatedly appear to represent a focused
intent to engineer 'difficulties' which conviniently satisfying
Microsoft's business desires for profit and market share, yet sacrifice
customers wants and needs as needed.

Take Microsoft mail for example. Between fellow microsoft mail users,
attachments flow effortlessly. Attachments sent to 'outsiders' (i.e.-
non-Microsoft mail Windows users, Unix, and Macintosh users), are not
directly interpretable. This type of corporate practice seems to operate as
a 'Venus fly trap' for customers. In essence Microsoft is providing
products which work within their adapted version of an industry standard,
but will not allow their customers to work in concert easily with those
using the actual industry standard. Reading in your post about yet another
unsatisfactory performance with a Microsoft product, moves me to consider
less questionable tools.

I believe now that while Microsoft continues to repeat wherever it can the
slogan 'Where do you want to go today?' implying that it can take the
customer wherever the customer wants to go, it seems only to take them
where Microsoft wants to go.

Considering that my computer system is an most essential tool for writing
besides my fountain pen and paper, I can't see Microsoft products being the
best choice for me at this point.

Peter Joseph Dranchuk
Writer
dranchuk -at- compusmart -dot- ab -dot- ca