Re: Publications Plans

Subject: Re: Publications Plans
From: AnnMacknz <AnnMacknz -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 15:49:12 EST

Hi Garret -

I didn't understand what you meant by a "publication plan". I do plan my
projects with my clients, and rarely miss a deadline or have to work
unreasonable hours (unless the nature of the project requires mega hours, and
I'm aware of that going in).

I usually write a *project scope* document that details what my clients and I
have discussed and agreed to. Since I charge by the hour, they pay for
changes they require along the way, but that rarely happens. We stay in touch
and develop a rapport so everyone involved is satisfied.

You're right, planning up front is the most important part of a project, along
with as good an outline as you can devise before knowing everything about the
project. I'm willing to share scope documents (after removing company-
specific material), if anyone is interested.

Cheers Ann

Ann Mackenzie: AnnMacknz -at- aol -dot- com
TekDoc - Technical Documentation, Inc. in Milwaukee, WI, USA
specializing in software & engineering writing and policies & procedures