Re: Telecommuting conversation, continued

Subject: Re: Telecommuting conversation, continued
From: "Metzger, Lucinda" <cmetzger -at- DUKANE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 12:09:47 -0600

Joanne said:

><snip>
>
>This seems strange to me because I'd expect most tech pubs managers to be
>former writers, who would be very familiar with technology. So, is that not
>true? Have most tech pubs managers come from disciplines other than tech
>writing?

None of my managers have been former writers. Admittedly, I have never
worked for a large company or even in a large tech writing group. But my
managers have always been from other areas, like product support,
engineering, and product management.

I've found that my obstacle to telecommuting hasn't been my managers,
it's been Human Resources. It's the old "but if we let you do it,
EVERYONE will want to do it" excuse. Helloooooo, that's why you write a
company policy stating which positions are eligible and which aren't,
and what guidelines an employee must meet to be considered for that
situation. The other response was an aghast "But. . . but. . . you'd be
UNSUPERVISED! How would we know you're doing your work?" Here's a clue:
am I still meeting my deadlines? Am I still cranking out the same amount
of documentation?

Gee, can you tell I'm still a little irritated over that conversation?
;-)

Cindy